You can get a cold or 'flu at any time but you are more likely to in winter as there are more viruses around to challenge your immune system and give you sore throats, fever, coughs, runny noses and fatigue. Stress, a poor diet, nutritional deficiencies and a disordered digestive function can lead to immune system imbalances which reduces your body’s defenses and may leave you more susceptible to harmful invaders, such as viruses and bacteria.
What can I do to help to strengthen my immune system?
The best ways to help to improve your immune system and protect against colds and flu are:
• Eat a well balanced diet that includes fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds, legumes and complete proteins
• Drink at least 2 litres of filtered water every day as water is essential for all aspects of good health
• Ensure you are getting sufficient sleep
• Decrease your stress levels as stress reduces your resistance to infection
• Continue to exercise regularly - even though it is tempting to snuggle back under the doona!
If your immune system is struggling this winter, then Naturopathy can help you address any underlying imbalances and fight off potential infections. If you are already sick, there are particular herbs and nutrients to help manage your cold and flu symptoms and bring you back to better health.
Thanks for reading!